Labels

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Rouladen (German Beef Rolls)

1 lb. boneless round steak (ask butcher)
1 onion, diced (didn't use)
1/4 c. flour
5 to 6 slices bacon, fried and crumbled (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 c. water
Mustard
Parsley
1 tsp. bouillon ( I just used one cube)

Cut round steak in half, horizontally, and pound until very, very thin. Spread each strip with mustard, parsley, onion, and bacon. Roll up and tie with string (I didn't have string so I just used toothpicks, but I couldn't get them out very easily.) Combine flour, salt and pepper. Roll beef rolls in flour mixture. Brown in hot oil (medium high). Add water and bouillon; simmer until tender. Make gravy out of drippings and serve over beef rolls.

To make gravy I just added 1/4 c. flour to drippings and salt and pepper to taste.


Make sure you cook long enough to make them tender. Mine were pretty tough.

No comments: